Looking to write a quality research paper? Let’s help you understand how.
Writing a good-quality research paper is the aim of every student. However, in order to do that, they have to take a variety of essential steps. In this article, we’re going to explore how they can write an outstanding research paper. So, let’s get started.
Basics of a Research Paper
A research paper should have a clear introduction that gives the reader a sense of what the paper is about, followed by methods and results. The middle section should be where the main points are made, and the conclusion should summarize what was said in the body of the paper.
Thus, a research paper typically has three main sections: an introduction, methods & results, and a conclusion. All of them include:
- The introduction provides a brief summary of what is to come concisely.
- Methods and results are often broken down into subsections or paragraphs that detail how data was collected or analyzed.
- The conclusion summarizes what has been discussed in the body of the paper, usually with a short statement about the future direction of research.
So, ensure you understand the research paper basics before starting.
5 Steps for College Students to Write an Outstanding Research Paper
From writing quality text in the middle section to using different methods, college students must take a variety of steps to write quality research paper assignments. So, to understand how to write an outstanding research paper, here are five key steps you need to take:
1. Extensive & Thorough Research
A research paper refers to a paper with extensive research and argument included in it. Now, there are many types of research papers, such as theoretical, argumentative, etc.
However, the one thing common among them all is thorough and extensive research. That’s why you need to start with proper research. Therefore, you can use a variety of platforms for research, such as:
- ResearchGate, which is home to 20 million scientists and their research;
- edu is the base for over 29 million academic research papers;
- ScienceOpen is ideal for scientific research;
- And Google is your best friend.
Besides that, you can watch interviews, YouTube videos, or other sorts of visual content. However, it comes down to the type of research paper that you’re writing. So, make sure you start properly by researching thoroughly and gathering all the information you can.
2. Write An Outline
Before you write the content, you need to understand the direction. In order for that to happen, you need to write a proper outline. An outline will make your content a lot more flowy and easy to read. Besides that, it’ll make it easier for you to write.
For example, let’s say our topic is technological science. Then, what you need is an Introduction, Middle & End, and here’s how to outline each area:
- Definition of Technological Science
- Rise of Technological Science
- What does technological science include?
- Where is technological science headed in the next 10 years?
- How can technological science make business/everyday life easier?
- Concluding statement
Now, it’s important to understand that each bullet point in the middle section will have its own subheadings. However, this is a rough idea of an outline, and you should write one like this before getting started. And as you research along, you can fill in the gaps.
3. Write The First Draft: Leave the Beginning & Ending For Last
As indicated by the outline before, the introduction and conclusion consist of basic and generic parts of the research. Hence, the middle/main body requires your attention the most. So, once your outline is complete, focus on the middle.
But why do you leave the beginning and conclusion for last? Because by the time you’re finished writing, you will understand how to write the perfect beginning for your middle. And, by the time you end it, you will have enough to summarize and write a concluding statement.
4. Cite Your Sources
A research paper needs a lot of sources to back up an argument or claims made within it. This is usually done with the help of credible sources. So, once you find them during the research, instead of pasting them as it is in your content, you should reword them. For making them unique, you can first paraphrase online and then cite your sources.
This way you can make them unique and save yourself from plagiarism. Below are some facts mentioned, why you should paraphrase online instead of paraphrasing manually:
- To avoid plagiarism;
- To ensure originality;
- To give the rightful author their credit;
- To back up your claim;
- To stand out as a credible research writer.
This way, you will ensure that your research is backed up with proper evidence. And you will avoid plagiarism by giving the original author credit.
5. Finalize The Draft: Intro, End, and Summary
The last step in writing your research is finalizing the draft. After you’re done with the aforementioned steps, you have to finalize by doing the following:
- Write the conclusive statement;
- Summarize the entirety of your article;
- Write a short intro, including the subject’s brief but descriptive definition.
Once you write the conclusive statement, make sure you mention all the credible sources and point toward the research. Then, in your summary, make sure you talk about your motivations behind picking the topic and the research methods that you employed.
These are the five key steps you need to take to write an outstanding research paper. The key is to organize and keep a straight head when writing research. So, make sure you research thoroughly and understand your topic before you get started.