Updated as on July 29, 2023. 9: 54 AM. CAT 2023 Exam Notification Update: IIM CAT 2023 Exam registration date expected releasing today. This year, the notification will be released by the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow. Once the notification is released, candidates will be able to check eligibility criteria, selection process, CAT exam registration details, paper pattern, etc.
First Published on July 26, 2023. CAT Exam 2023: Common Admission Test [CAT] is one of the most popular MBA entrance examinations in India. This test paves the way for the MBA aspirants for getting admission into top B Schools and hundreds of management institutes including the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs).
Admissions in different prestigious colleges depend on the CAT score of the candidates. Around 2 lac students appear for CAT every year. In 2022 , over 2.22 lakh candidates has undertake the exam.
This is a computer-based test that is conducted once a year as of now, although there are talks around for the CAT(Common Admission Test) to be held twice a year, but no final decision on this yet.
The test is conducted every year by one of the Indian Institute of Managements (IIM) based on a policy of rotation. CAT is considered one of the toughest entrance exams to crack with a decent score.
Find all the important information about the CAT 2023 entrance test if you are planning to pursue management studies and a MBA / PGDM/ degree or diploma.
What are the eligibility criteria for appearing for CAT exams?
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in the case of candidates belonging to the Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disability (PwD) categories], awarded by any University or educational institution as incorporated by an Act of Parliament or State legislature in India or declared to be deemed as an University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognised by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply
Eligibility Criteria(as stated for CAT 2023:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage of marks*.
- Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA/Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI)) with required percentage*.
- Should be in the final year of Bachelor’s degree with required percentage*. *SC/ST/PwD candidates should have a minimum 45%. For General, EWS and NC-OBC candidates, the minimum is 50%.
In order to appear for the CAT entrance examination, there are certain criteria that need to be fulfilled.
Here is the list of criteria needed in order to appear for the CAT entrance examination:
– There is no minimum percentage requirement in graduation for appearing for the entrance examination.
– The candidate who is in the final year for the examination can appear for the CAT entrance examination.
– There is no age limit for appearing for the CAT examination.
– Candidate must fill out the examination form and fees properly before the given duration.
There are multiple types of questions in the CAT examination.
Broadly the CAT syllabus is categorized into these three categories:
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
The below table shows the detailed topics covered in each section of the CAT examination:
CAT 2022 Syllabus
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||Quantitative Ability|
|English grammar and usage||Direction sense||Geometry|
|Reading comprehension||Blood Relations||Equations (Linear, Special, Quadratic)|
|fill in the blanks||Seating arrangement (linear and circular)||Number system|
|Sentence correction||Coding Decoding||Arithmetic Progression and Geometric progression|
|word-meaning||Case lets, pie chart, line graph||Profit and loss, pipes and cisterns|
|cloze test||Sequence and series||simple and compound interest|
|vocabulary based questions||Venn Diagrams||Time and work|
|Analogy||Clocks and calendars||Averages. Percentages|
|Para Jumble||Binary logic||Allegations and mixtures|
What is the pattern of the CAT examination?
The CAT examination pattern is generally common and has been followed for the last few years.
Here is the detailed information about the pattern for CAT examination:
- Total no. of questions – 66 MCQs
- Duration of the exam – 2 hours
- Mode of examination – Computer-based Test [CBT]
- Marking system – Correct answer gains 3 marks &
An Incorrect answer will deduct 1 mark.
CAT Exam 2023 important dates
A proper plan of action for the CAT preparation is one of the main criteria for all the students to be successful.. Knowing the important dates can help to make a proper plan of action for an examination and avoid last minute hassles or missing any important action.
Registration Fees : (Non-refundable)
For general category of students : INR 2400/- & INR 1200 for other reserved category.
Test Centres: CAT will be conducted in centers spread across around 150 test cities. Test cities will be mentioned in the CAT website and the name of the test center will be indicated in the Admit Card.
CAT Scores: Candidates’ score cards will be made accessible on the CAT website. CAT 2023 results are likely to be declared by 2nd week of January 2024 and the CAT score will be valid till Decemeber’2024
The above information is the best of knowledge from proper sources and you can also find more information on the website. Hope that you give your best efforts for CAT exams to achieve success.